When & where: Hackathon 28.8.2019 9:00–16:00 at SparkUp Turku
Final pitching 29.8.2019 18:00–19:00 at SHIFT Business Festival
5G hackathon aims to solve the challenges of loneliness and social exclusion
City of Turku and Elisa Oyj are organizing a 5G hackathon that aims to prevent loneliness and social exclusion through 5G enabled services. All selected participants will receive a festival pass to SHIFT 2019 and there’s a EUR 10.000 prize for the winning team.
City of Turku and Elisa are organizing a 5G hackathon at SHIFT business Festival on 28.8-29.8.2019 in Turku. The 5G hackathon challenges teams to create and develop new 5G enabled solutions for preventing loneliness and social exclusion. The 5G network provides new ideas and possibilities, that may not have been discovered yet! Are you ready to let your imagination flow?
Loneliness and social exclusion are significant national health challenges that Finland is facing. Although receiving far less attention, it has been estimated that the health risks following loneliness and social exclusion are equal to obesity and smoking. Many Finns are home confined, due to conditions such as severe immobilization, disabilities and depression. This further increases the likelihood of loneliness and social exclusion.
What if there was an effective and enjoyable way for people to connect with others and experience new things from one’s home environment? 5G enables a massive increase in mobile network speed, capacity, and reliability that further unlocks the potential of technologies, such as virtual reality. These technologies allow people to hop on a virtual journey that brings them to places they have always wanted to visit and allows them to experience live concerts and theatre from their home environment. 5G is enabling new services and practical implementations, through which we can improve the quality and everyday life for the citizens of Turku.
If you are a start-up company, student, coder or designer, join the City of Turku and Elisa in creating new 5G enabled solutions that help to prevent social exclusion.
Apply before August 18th
When and where?
- Hackathon 28th of August from 9am to 4pm at SparkUp, Tykistönkatu 4, 20520 Turku
- Pitching at SHIFT 29.8.2019 from 6pm to 7pm, Hevoskarintie 23, 20100 Turku
- We are looking for teams with 2-4 persons to solve the challenges of loneliness and social exclusion through utilizing 5G
- There will be a semi-final pitching competition organized as part of the hackathon on the 28th of August. During this, the finalists pitching at SHIFT 2019 are announced
- Every team member will receive a festival pass to the SHIFT Business Festival
- During the hackathon, there will be multiple experts from both the City of Turku and Elisa helping and giving guidance
- The winning team will be getting 10.000 EUR as a reward